Monday, September 1, 2014

Vegan MoFo welcome!


Hooray! Happy Vegan MoFo! Welcome to new readers!
It is September, and time to talk about some vegan food.
I'm Steph. I became a vegetarian at age 10 in 1985. Yep, that's right, I'm almost 40.
I was mostly vegan for many years, and made the official change in 2010. I love being a vegan, it makes me feel better, in body, mind, and spirit. I am now a vegan for life.
In 2012, I started running. It was something that I never enjoyed growing up, but took on as a challenge to myself. I never would have believed that I would really love it. 
Now, don't go thinking that I'm going to tell you how to be a great vegan athlete. I am not a great vegan athlete. In fact, I'm slow. But I get out there and do it. I've run half marathons, and haven't died once!
I am currently in recovery/building mode. An injury sidelined my training this summer, and I feel like I have had to start again at the beginning. Frustrating as that is, I have done it before, so I know I can do it again.


Each week, I post my dinner recipe plans (lunches are generally leftovers from the day before) and workout plans. I am no expert, just sharing my own story. During the month of September, I will also be posting daily (mostly) with a recipe or restaurant or cookbook review. I'll also be posting prolifically to my facebook page www.facebook.com/zuzubeat And to my Instagram, www.instagram.com/zuzubeat

My biggest cooking challenge lately is learning how to prepare food for just 2. Our daughter, Mia, is away at college, so it's just my hubby, Rob, and I at home. (Plus three dogs, and two cats... please no one call us empty nesters, or some birds will move in!) Cooking for two adults is different than cooking for three!


Speaking of our menagarie, my three pups are also runners! They accompany me on most of my runs. They are my bodyguards, my training crew, my cheerleaders, my alarm clocks, and mostly tireless companions!

I am looking forward to a great month, a great Vegan MoFo, with you! Please share, comment, whatever you feel compelled to do. Most days I will post a recipe or two, pictures of my food, a restaurant review or a vegan cookbook review.  Each Monday, I will post my meal plan for the upcoming week.  In my meal plans, I list my training (I am currently re-training myself for a Spring half marathon) and my dinner plans.  Some days it works out that I follow these plans meticulously, some weeks, they're more, say... guidelines... :)

Here is my meal/exercise plan for the week of Sept. 1-Sept 7.
Monday
Walk 1
Run 3
Abs + Arms
Watermelon smoothies and TLTA sandwiches (Tempeh, Lettuce, Tomato, Avocado)

Tuesday
Walk 2
Abs
Swim
Yoga
Caribbean sweet potato and bean stew

Wednesday
Walk 1
Run 3
Abs + Arms
Dinner out with friends

Thursday
Walk 2
Abs 
Swim
Bhangra
Late night leftovers!

Friday
Walk 1
Run 6
Abs
Mongolian vegetables

Saturday
Walk
Abs + Arms
Soba Stir fry

Sunday
Yoga
Teriyaki Tempeh with Pineapple







3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, not sure what happened there. I thought I double posted & when I went to delete the dupe, they both disappeared!

    Just wanted to say that I love the tee - I have it in green. Also I love the pups & hope they'll be making multiple appearances too. Happy VeganMoFo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love that tee- and most by that company, they're so soft and great messages!
      Don't worry, you'll see lot's more of the pups! I even have a post lined up about making vegan dog food!
      Happy VeganMoFo!

      Delete