Friday, September 5, 2014

Vegan MoFo Long run day smoothie


I realized I haven't yet talked about smoothies.

But, first, let's talk about running.

I grew up hating running. You see, I've never been fast, and I'm a curvy girl. I guess I thought that because I wasn't good at it, and because it was hard work, that meant I hated to run.

Fast forward to today. I'm still not fast. And it is still hard work. But it is one of my favorite things to do. My pups and I run or walk just about every day. We all sleep beautifully.

I'm just getting back into being able to run (Slightly) longer distances. In my area of the world, I am very lucky, because I have many beautiful places to run that are really motivational.


I like to run first thing in the morning, running is a lovely way to start the day! I have more energy while at work, my dogs get into less trouble while I'm at work....


Anyway, I ran 6 miles this morning, had a healthy breakfast, and now, this afternoon, I just want something light for lunch, but I also kind of want to treat myself since I was such a badass on the trail. Sounds like a fruit smoothie would be perfect.
I don't intend this smoothie to be a TOTAL MEAL REPLACEMENT. Nah, I won't be adding protein powders, or kale, or flax seed; nothing like that.
This is a pure and simple fruit smoothie! Sweet, kind of a treat to myself.
First up, let us survey the fruit situation in the house. Sigh. Nothing fresh. My local farmer I usually buy from has been on vacation this week, so no summer melons or peaches. It is Friday, so I've already eaten all of the bananas and grapes I bought at the store on Monday. Sigh.
But, wait! The freezer!
When I catch the bananas on delivery day, the local store brown bags all of the week-old bananas and sells them at half price. I buy them, and any that I don't eat right away get sliced in half and frozen for just an occasion like this. I also have frozen mango and pineapple. And a case of coconut water (I'm serious about my potassium!). Perfect!


I put one frozen banana, about a cup of mango, and around a cup and a half of pineapple. Then I added about a cup of coconut water.


I ended up needing to add a little more coconut water mid blend to smooth it out, but in the end, I got a really delicious treat!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment