Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Vegan MoFo Creamy Tomato Soup


Summer is ending, and it is getting a little cooler. Time to start eating soup! Hooray!
One of my students brought me a huge bag of tomatoes, and tomato soup is easier than you think!
First, I washed all of the tomatoes, and cut them into large chunks. Then I drizzled a tiny bit of evoo over the top, and sprinkled a little of my favorite lavender salt over them, and popped them in the oven at 375 degrees for an hour.
After about 50 minutes, I started doing the rest of the prepping. I chopped up an entire head of garlic (no vampires live here!) And tossed it in my soup pot with a little dry white wine over medium heat.


Then I checked on my tomatoes, yep, they look and smell goooood. (Can you spy Rob's baked potatoes in the oven, too? Those will be part of his lunches this week. We are oven multitaskers.)
In 2 batches, I pulled out the tomatoes and processed them in my blender. When I want a chunkier soup, I will only puree half the tomatoes, but I was in the mood for creamy tonight, so I processed all of them, but not too finely.


I added the pureed tomatoes to my soup pot, along with 2 cups of veggie broth, and simmered for 20 minutes. If you want a really creamy soup, you can add almond milk at this time.


I like to serve my soup with style, a dollop of cashew crema (Soaked cashews blended with water & Lemon juice), some fresh ground pepper, chives, and hey, Rob just toasted up some butternut squash seeds!
Pictured here with my soup is my recipe notebook. I try to jot things down, but sometimes I forget for months at a time. The funny thing here is that when I got all these tomatoes, I went looking through all of my cookbooks, knowing I had made tomato soup before. On a whim, I looked here, and realized I'd written it down! Hooray! And the date says I made this soup recipe last year at this time, when I got a big bunch of tomatoes from the same student!
Let's take a moment, and be thankful for recipe books, writing things down, and for tomato growing students! 

No comments:

Post a Comment