Friday, September 12, 2014

Vegan MoFo Trail Mix Cookie


As some of you know, I have been doing a lot of writing for my research study lately. Sitting at a computer has made me crave sweets! Fortunately, I don't keep a lot of vegan junk food in the house, so I've been able to quell that desire with fruit, but in the last week or so, I have been craving cookies. I haven't caved to buying any, so today I thought I would make some. I want my cookies to be vegan (duh), sweet, also healthy! But mostly they have to have the portability and joy that a cookie embodies.

I first came across the idea for the 2 ingredient cookie last spring. Basically, you take a cup of mashed bananas (about 2 large) and a cup of oats, mix, and insta-cookie. This trail-mix cookie uses that same general concept as a base.

First, I got out all my ingredients. For my cookie base, I used 1 ripe banana, 1 cup oats, and 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce. Since I wanted a trail-mix Flavor cookie, I pulled out EVERYTHING! I pulsed three dates, and a small handful (about an ounce) of a packaged dried fruit and raw nut mix in my Food processor first.



To start the cookie base, I mashed the banana and mixed in the applesauce in the bottom of my bowl.

 

Next, I added in the oats, I've seen some folks add in agave here, too, but I think these are plenty sweet without. Mix together! Then I added in my trail mix, the pulsed dried fruit and dates, some sunflower, flax, pumpkin, and hemp seeds.  At the last minute I tossed in an ounce of vegan chocolate chips, too. 


The mixture never looks quite doughy Enough. That's okay. With your hands form little balls, packing the oatmeal together. And pay no attention to how old and dingy my cookie sheet looks here!


While the cookies are baking (15 minutes at 350 degrees) go peek at the pups. I caught Little Jack in a blissful nap on the dog couch with his toys, he's such an angel when he sleeps (as opposed to the crazy creature he becomes at the dog park!) 



Here's an example of his outdoor zaniness....



Oh! They are ready! Yum! They look good, and taste good!


This makes me think of the musical I saw with my daughter when she was young: A year with Frog and Toad. It was based on the children's book series, and they encompassed the story about Toad making cookies in such a cute song! Mia and I still sing it to each other!


"This is a fabulous cookie
sweet with a scintilla of spice
cunningly soft in the middle,
Let's have another,
these cookies are nice..."

No comments:

Post a Comment