Saturday, September 13, 2014

Vegan MoFo Moe's and thoughts about Frostburg


The pups and I took a trip earlier this month to visit Mia in Frostburg, MD. It was a nice weekend trip, with beautiful weather and fun times!

The pups and I especially liked the Appalachian Trail, which runs through Pittsburgh to Cumberland, and can be reached by a short 1/2 mile walk from Frostburg. Even though it was drizzling a little bit, we enjoyed the trail.  Lily was a little stiff from riding in the car, so we only walked 3.5 miles, but had a great time.

Later that afternoon, Mia and her boyfriend took us to Dan's Rock, an overlook just south of town where you can see three states. It was gorgeous, and Mia, Ryan, and Jack really had fun climbing on all of the rocks.  Copper and Lily weren't so sure about the whole thing.

Although no-where in town is touted as vegan or veg-friendly, we were able to find some good foods to eat! Gianni's pizza was happy to make me a vegan stromboli by not adding cheese. It was quite good. I'd never known before the difference between a calzone and a stromboli- but now I believe that a calzone has sauce, where a stromboli does not...
Mountain City Coffee not only had soy milk as an option on all drinks (yay!), they also had a number of vegetarian options (Mia was pleased about that!) and Hummus and Pita to please us vegans!
On another visit there, we went to the local Mexican restaurant, and I was also successful there in getting a vegan meal. In the future, I hope to check out Zen-Sushi, Eastern Express, and the local Greek restaurant- all three look like they can make a vegan meal happen pretty easily.


Tonight, Mia shared with me that her campus is about to get a Moe's in the student union! For those of you who are not familiar with Moe's, it is similar to a Chipotle, where you get to choose what goes on your taco/burrito/quesidilla/nachos/etc... One thing I love about Moe's is that TOFU is an option- yup, they had tofu before Chipotle had their Sofritas, giving this restaurant a special place in my heart.  Also, Moe's have all of their hot-sauces on a little buffet area where you can pick and choose ramekins of flavor, which reminds me fondly of Taco Cabana (a Texas favorite!).

In honor of the new Moe's in Frostburg, tonight I made a Moe's inspired salad.
First, I sauteed some diced onions, then added green pepper, cubed tofu, black beans, and tomatoes. I let these all simmer together with a dash or five of Frank's hot sauce.
Then in a bowl of shredded romaine lettuce, I added some of the tofu/beans mixture, topped it with a dollop of cashew crema, and some shredded Daiya cheddar vegan cheese.


Tasty and healthy, and makes me smile. This made 4 servings. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment