Sunday, October 6, 2013

Vegan Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

This may be the best oatmeal I have ever eaten! I'm not always an oatmeal fan. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it isn't something I crave or even go out of my way for.
Making cashew milk last week has given me so many ideas!  I am planning on making mashed potatoes with it, and this morning, I thought it would go beautifully in oatmeal.
Last week, I roasted a pie pumpkin while I cooked my acorn squash for my soup. I used some in my smoothies, and a little in my tacos with some peppers. Luckily I still had about a cup left. I suppose canned pumpkin purée would work, too.

Ingredients:

3/4c. Steel cut oats
1 c. Water
2c. Cashew milk
Dash nutmeg, ginger, cloves
1c. Cooked pumpkin
2tbsp maple syrup

Put oats, water, and 1-1/2c. milk in a pan. Bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer, stirring frequently for 6-7 minutes. Add spices.
Meanwhile, blend remaining milk, pumpkin, and syrup. Add pumpkin mixture, and stir.

Serve with a sprinkle of brown sugar. If I'd had some vegan whipped cream, I would have added that, too. I also think that sour cream would make a neat addition.

This is a perfect autumn Sunday morning breakfast! My girl enjoyed hers this morning while catching up on a guilty pleasure. We're on Season 8 of Supernatural.



No comments:

Post a Comment