Saturday, October 26, 2013

Biscuits and gravy

This was a constant dinner in our house growing up, something so simple that I learned to take over preparation of this meal for my mom, who often found herself heading out of the house for rehearsals and concerts at dinnertime.  Being that I really knew how to make this for omnivores, this was one of the first meals I figured out how to vegetarian-ize and then vegan-ize as I got older.

As for the biscuits, if you are naturally inclined and so talented, please feel free to create these from scratch.  I am not innately a baker, I am more of a cook, so I turn to mom's recipe for this one- Bisquick and water.  Yep, I said it.  But Bisquick is vegan (while not the healthiest option for everyone), and I keep a small box of the low salt version on hand most of the time JUST FOR Biscuits.  My favorite part about having biscuits and gravy for dinner is to have dessert of another biscuit, but this time with jam or syrup.  I like Agave on mine!



Biscuits and Gravy
Ingredients:
Bisquick
Water
1 package Upton's ground seitan
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped carrots
1/2 onion, chopped
soy milk
Bisquick
salt and pepper to taste

First, preheat the oven to 350.  Mix the Bisquick and water together and drop by tablespoon onto an oiled cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, saute the onion and carrot over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until the carrots begin to soften and the onions start to clear.  Add the seitan and celery, and cook an additional 5 minutes.  Add remaining Bisquick, salt and pepper, and top with milk, stirring everything. Cook for 5 more minutes, paying attention to the density of the gravy, adding more milk if it seems dry, more flour if it seems too wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment