Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pumpkin broccoli seitan curry

Either you are a curry lover, or a curry hater. I happen to love curry. My mom used to make a curry dish when I was little, and I don't remember how it tasted, but I do remember how it smelled.

Ah, curry, yum!














When I became a vegetarian, I was responsible for much of my own cooking. The first vegetarian cookbook I owned had a number of curry recipes in it, which I made often, and often served to my family.

It was when I started cooking for myself that I realized that curry was not a spice, but a combination of spices! Knowing that opened all sorts of doors for me, because that meant that I didn't have to have the same curry flavor in each dish!














In this recipe, I call for curry powder, for simplicity sake, but please feel free to make your own mix! Also, check your labels, I've seen commercial curry powders in the stores that are NOT vegan.  Also, I used canned pumpkin here, but it would also benefit from cubed roasted pumpkin.  

Because it is fall, I wanted to incorporate some traditional fall favors, hence the pumpkin. You really can make a curry with any vegetables, and I will often make curry when I've got produce that needs to be used right away!

Ingredients:
1 can Pumpkin (15 oz.)
2 Carrots sliced
1 head Broccoli, in spears
1 Green Pepper, chopped
0.5 Onion, chopped
4 cloves Garlic, minced
2 c. Coconut milk
2 c. Vegetable broth
2 T. Curry powder
1 t. Old Bay seasoning
Sirrachia to taste 
1pkg. Upton's traditional seitan
2 c. Brown rice, cooked
Cilantro as garnish














First saute the onion and garlic until translucent, then add the other vegetables and simmer with the vegetable broth for 5-10 minutes.














Add the spices, and seitan, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.  Then add the pumpkin and milk. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 10 more minutes, or until it smells so delicious you can't stand it anymore!














Serve curry over rice with a cilantro garnish. Makes 6 servings.














I paired this dish with a Märtzen style beer, but a glass of Malbec would also be appropriate. Something full and with a little spice to it.

  

By the way, don't you love my bowls?



No comments:

Post a Comment