Thursday, September 26, 2013

Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup

Here's how I am making my soup tonight... (adapted from holisticvibes.com)

Ingredients:
Tomatoes, lots of them.  I am using roma tomatoes, and filled a cake pan with them.
Garlic, lots of it.  I used 6-7 cloves, but may use more next time.
4 c. vegetable broth
Kosher Salt
Italian Olive Oil (it's flavored with Basil and Rosemary and the like.)
Black Pepper to taste

4 c. Almond Milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°F. Put a little oil in the bottom, add the tomatoes in a roasting pan roll them a bit in the oil, then top with salt.  Bake for approximately one hour.




Roast the peeled cloves of garlic in a soup pot with some olive oil.  Then add the tomatoes (juice and all) and vegetable broth, and simmer for about twenty minutes.  You may want to blend the tomatoes first- I put about half of them in the blender, so it was a little chunky.  After 20 min, add the milk.  Simmer an additional 10 minutes.


Serve and top with some fresh ground black pepper.




I also served this with some toasted rolls topped with Daiya cheese I put in the still-warm oven.











I had more tomatoes, so I made some marinara sauce: (Loosely based off of the Vegan Stoner recipe)

Ingredients:
 6-7 chopped Roma tomatoes
1 bunch celery, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
6-7 baby carrots, chopped (big carrots would work, too- but this is what I had)
Basil
4 cloves garlic, chopped



All of this went in a big pot and simmered quite some time.













I then canned the sauce, and my leftover soup- Yum!
The sauce came out a little chunky, so when I used it the next day, I threw it in the blender, and it smoothed right out.

No comments:

Post a Comment