Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Vegan eating out- City O City, Denver CO

 I have posted about the glories of City O' City before.
Here: http://questingadventures.blogspot.com/2013/07/vegan-eating-in-colorado-and-other.html
and Here: http://questingadventures.blogspot.com/2014/01/photographic-evidence-11414.html

Yeah, we go there whenever we are in town. What can I say? Once you've had one of their savory vegan waffles I DARE you not to dream about them. It's that good.

Anyway, we flew into Denver last Wednesday, and immediately headed over for lunch. We started off for some seitan wings- half BBQ, half buffalo. Yum. I've had my share of vegan seitan wings, and theirs are the best.

Mia got the savory waffle, because that is what she gets every time. Sometimes she talks about getting something different... but she always comes back to the savory waffle. She loves it, and I think, it loves her in return.


I went with the WOW- the vegan waffle of the week, which was a savory nacho black bean waffle. Huh. How can you not order that? It was really good. the only downfall was that I went halvsies with Rob, and when I split up the waffle, I took the vegan spicy aioli off the plate, and FORGOT about it. And it was good, too.


Rob ordered my favorite brunch item, vegan tofu biscuits and gravy. I am such a sucker for biscuits and gravy. My folks used to make (non-veg) biscuits and gravy as a quick meal when I was growing up, and I always feel so comforted by the idea of it. It was the first recipe I ever figured out how to make vegetarian, and then totally veganized all by my onsie. Nowadays my gravy is all speckled with veggies, carrots and celery and mushrooms and dill. And my biscuits are full of flax, but the idea is the same!


Jeff's meal was accidentally vegan, so I had to test his out, too. He got a peanut butter waffle with grapefruit jam that was topped with potato chips! A grown up version of a melted PB&J!


Speaking of which, while we were in Copper, at one of the cafes on the mountain, they had a grilled PB&J station, and people LOVED it. My mom and I were shocked with how much people were raving about it. My mom used to make me grilled PB&J sandwiches all the time growing up, and her mom used to do the same for her, but these folks on the ski slopes had never heard of it, and though my mom should be cashing in on some royalties! Did you ever eat that stuff as a kid? I always loved the Peanut Butter when it got warm, and kind of oozed off the bread....

No comments:

Post a Comment