Sunday, July 27, 2014

What Vegans Eat: Cafe Gratitude in Kansas City

After our Brewery tour at Boulevard in Kansas City, we went to get some lunch.  Since I was the Designated Driver, and token Vegan, I got to choose the restaurant.  We were headed somewhere different, when I recognized Lulu's from a previous trip visiting Jeff & Rachel.  I then spotted Cafe Gratitude on the corner, a place I'd heard local vegans raving about, so we peeked in to check it out.


Upon entering, my brother, Tim, announced that it smelled amazing, and we should eat there!  Hooray!  Generally when I'm with the big family, I try to stick to vegan-friendly locations, but Cafe Gratitude is 100% plant based, and with many gluten free and raw options on the menu!



All of the items on the menu have amazing names.  We started with an appetizer- Honoring, which was live nachos with a spicy sunflower pate, guac, salsa, and chives. This was fantastic, and we asked for more crackers. 


My dad really liked the sunflower pate, which came across as very bean-y.  The nacho cheese on top was nut based, and this whole plate was raw.


We each ordered an entree, and then shared tastes all around.
I chose Fabulous, a raw lasagna with olive tapenade and pesto, with mixed greens and served with cashew ricotta cheese. This looked like a lasagna, but tasted like a garden.  The olive tapenade was a little overpowering for some at the table, but I really enjoyed it.  This was also a raw dish.


Rob ordered Yo Soy Feliz, which was two tostadas with black beans, portabella mushrooms, and a very spicy mexican coleslaw that reminded me of kimchee.


Tim ordered Humble, this was my other favorite dish from this restaurant- it was curried lentils, rice, and sweet potatoes, served with sprouts and a coconut mint chutney.  I would eat this dish all winter long. Maybe I need to learn how to make it here before the weather gets cold.


My dad ordered Warm-Hearted, which was polenta served with spaghetti squash- very Italian in flavoring.  Not sure if my dad liked the polenta, though.


Cafe Gratitude also had a wide assortment of desserts- so we each had to pick one!  I knew dinner would be slim pickings, and we'd done a 5k that morning, so didn't mind filling up on lunch!


Rob ordered a raw bar- it was the healthiest dessert with bits of nuts, seeds, dried fruits, and a bit of dark chocolate- but amazingly tasty.


Not as healthy as Rob's, but I think my favorite of the dessert picks, I ordered the blueberry cake.


My dad ordered a nut butter chocolate ball- it used hazelnuts and almonds, but was almost a healthy tribute to a peanut butter cup.


Tim ordered the Hazelnut cheesecake- this dessert is so popular, it is the only one that they keep on the dessert menu year-round.


All in all, I was so excited to have stumbled on this beautiful little restaurant, and would absolutely return there!  The server was nice, the restaurant clean and homey, the food delicious, and all vegan.  Which means I get to try EVERYONE'S food!  Even yours, if you are there, too.




No comments:

Post a Comment