Sunday, February 16, 2014

Plan Feb 17-23

Monday
Run
Veganized Mac & Cheese & Bacon & Brussels Sprouts

Tuesday
Bike
Swim

Wednesday
Run
Tacos.  It's been a while since I've made you, friends.

Thursday
Bike
Swim
Veganized Quiona fried rice

Friday
Long Run
Mia's Perogie Pies

Saturday
Bike
Swim
Spaghetti and vegan meatballs

Sunday
Breakfast for dinner

With some nasty weather in our neck of the woods this week, I wasn't able to get in any training on Thursday or Friday.  Luckily, I knew it was coming, and put in extra time M-W at the gym.  I can't let my brother get ahead of me in our training!

Thursday night was a rather scary storm, in fact.  Snow coming down so thick and heavy, it was hard to see to the end of the driveway.  We lost power and didn't get it back until the next morning.  I had to cancel my Friday Samosa date with my friend, Cari, but we rescheduled for next week.

Rob brought me a beautiful Orchid plant, and a balloon that Copper barked at all afternoon.



While I was planning on getting a bunch of reading done on Thursday and Friday during my snow days, I didn't.  Rob ended up having to stay home from work, too, so we binge watched Lost all weekend.  I finally see where the numbers come from for the Lost Virtual series I'm running, but I am still very confused.  It's a good series- it reminds me a bit of Twin Peaks, which I watched in the 90's.  We're still early on in the series, though, so don't tell me anything.



We watched the USA Russia hockey game Saturday morning. What a game! It's been a while since I've seen a shoot out! So exciting. Then Rob and I headed to the gym to catch up on training miles, and spent the evening with his mom, Paula, watching more hockey. We also got margaritas to celebrate Valentines- and shoveled some snow.



I'm sad, because my normal running trail which was quite icy last week, is damn near impossible at the moment.  So icy, and at least 8 inches of snow.  I guess it's more treadmill for me this week.  Luckily, it's supposed to warm up by Wednesday, so I should be able to get my long run in Friday or Saturday.

This week, my daughter, Mia, and my almost daughter, Tina, both sent me recipes they found online that were decidedly un-vegan. I'm posting my veganized version recipes below.

Veganized Mac & Cheese & Bacon & Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients:
1 box cooked pasta
6-8 slices tempeh bacon
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
a giant bag full of brussels sprouts (Hey, don't judge.  I like brussels sprouts)
oil, sparingly, as needed (I'll likely use coconut oil)
2 tbs. flour
2 c. unsweetened almond milk
1/4 c nutritional yeast
1 package of Daiya Havarti vegan cheese
1/4 c. Panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 375.

In a skillet, cook tempeh bacon, onion, cloves in an inch of water. Add the brussels sprouts, stir, and cover.  Cook for about 5 minutes. Toss in the cooked pasta.

While that's cooking, make the roux with a little bit of oil (maybe a tablespoon) and the flour.  Add the milk, and stir until slightly thickened.  Add the cheese and nutritional yeast.

In a large baking dish, stir together the sauce and the pasta.  Sprinkle the Panko over top, and bake 30 minutes or so.

If I have any coconut bacon bits on hand, I'll also top the dish with those.

Veganized Quiona Fried Rice

Ingredients:
1/2 tofu package.  Extra firm, cubed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
1 head broccoli, chopped
1 c. frozen corn
1 c. frozen peas
2 carrots, peeled and grated
3 c. cooked quiona
ginger, grated, to taste
3 Tbs. soy sauce
Hot sauce (optional)

In about an inch of water, saute onion and garlic.  Add mushrooms, broccoli, tofu, corn and peas.  Add quiona and carrots.  Toss in ginger and soy sauce. Serve with Sriracha.

No comments:

Post a Comment