Thursday, June 27, 2013

Vegan adventures in the DMV- Rafting, Running & Paying it forward.

I started this blog post a few weeks ago, then promptly forgot to publish...

Saturday (6/15) I ran the Loyola River Race 5k, a local race with some serious hills.  It was a beautiful course, but again, seriously hilly.  I wish I'd known that much before signing up.  I probably would have still run it, but it would have been good to know.

My friend, Rune, also ran the race, and got a PR & a medal!  There weren't that many people running, and many got medals.  In fact, the last two people to finish the race (they were 6 & 7 people behind me, and at least 15 minutes, but I'm not counting!) were 2nd and 3rd in their age group (under 14) and got medals.  At least that's one thing to look forward to when I turn 40 in a year and a half- I'll be in a different age group!

Sunday (6/16), Rob and I went on a whitewater rafting trip with a local Vegan Meetup group.  VSDC does a ton of stuff, but this is the first meetup we've been able to go to.  It was a blast.


We put in our rafts just south of Great Falls, VA, and rafted down to Carderock State Park (MD).  The trip took a few hours, and we stopped and had a vegan picnic lunch along the way.  We had a ton of fun, and will look forward to doing other trips like this with the group in the future.

Afterwards, we wanted to have a beer before dinner, and ended up at the Vienna Inn, a totally dumpy dive bar off of Chain Bridge Road.
And, if you know Rob and I, you know that a totally dumpy dive bar is the kind of place we like best.  There was NOTHING there that I could eat, but the beers were good (clean tap lines!) and we ended up striking up a conversation that was fun at the bar with some locals.

Since then, I've also run the Run for the Rainforest in Arlington (6/23) and bested my time from last year by over a minute!  That brings me to 9 races that I've run this year.  Looking at my schedule,  most of the rest of my races this year will be in the fall, and will be longer ones- one 5k, two 8k's, one 10k, and one 5miler.  


No comments:

Post a Comment