Thursday, June 20, 2013

Reclaiming my love for bread

When I first went vegan, I had no idea how many breads include milk &/or eggs.  I knew most of them would, but I didn't envision that I would then spend hours at the grocery store reading every bread label looking for a vegan one.

I discovered that many rye and pumpernickel breads were safe, and that was great.  I like rye and pumpernickel, except, not all the time.  If I'm trying to veganize french toast, rye is not a good choice.

So I haven't eaten much bread in the last few years.  In fact, we eat so little bread that when I buy it, I generally keep it in the freezer, and pull out just a few slices at a time, so that it doesn't go bad.

Mia working at Mom's has changed things, though.  Not only do they have a couple of different vegan breads, but since bread is delivered fresh daily, day-old bread is free to employees.

Oh, bread.  I've missed you.  Garlic bread for breakfast?  Yes, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment