Monday, June 10, 2013

Vegan Breakfast and swim/running


On Sunday, I woke up with a serious hankering for waffles.  It was raging.  It could not be quelled.  Except by waffles.

Now, here's my thing about breakfast foods.  I've always been a simple breakfast eater.  Before I started running, breakfast 98% of the time was cereal (not always with milk, because 1. unless you eat it right away, your cereal gets soggy, 2. if you eat it too quickly, you have dry cereal, and you're left with a bowl full of soy milk with crumbs in it, and 3. milk? who has time for that nonesense?  Cereal + cup = breakfast to go...) or toast.  

Anyway, back to my hankering for waffles...
Traditional hot breakfast foods are generally NOT vegan.  So when I get a hankering for flapjacks or waffles etc. I generally have to make them myself.  



There's a good company called Mom's Vegan Kitchen that makes mixes for pancakes, waffles and biscuits that I like, and I actually have one of the mixes in my pantry, but you know, when you get a really good waffle crave happening, you don't actually want to MAKE YOUR OWN waffles, do you?

Anyway, there's a lovely vegan restaurant in Temple Hills, MD (Everlasting Life Cafe), about 45 minutes from our place, that has a Sunday Brunch.  I've always wanted to go, and even though I've been there many times for lunch, have never gotten there on a Sunday.


Well, wouldn't you know it, when we got there, they didn't have any waffles, but flapjacks suited my needs just fine.  Rob and I each got something different, and split our meals in half.  That way we each got:
Strawberry pancakes, tofu scramble, vegan sausage, steamed broccoli, and grits!

I did think it was odd, though, that there was no coffee on the menu.  A cup of Joe (it could be organic and free-trade!) and the Washington Post would be the only two things that could have made this breakfast better.

Anyway, enough about food, now let's talk about running.

June 5 was National Running Day!  Yay!  Another cause for wanton celebration!  I got out and ran a 5k in the morning.

Photo: National running day!
It's national running day! I'm headed out for a 3miler. Happy jogging!

Then, like the crazy person I am, I signed up for the Rock N Roll Half Marathon next March!  For the last month or so, I've been thinking pretty seriously about a half marathon.  The Running Day $20 discount sealed the deal.  So I guess it's serious now!  Anyway, I've read the No Meat Athlete guide to running a Half, and have started building up longer distances each week.  I have a while to get there.  Thank goodness.

I don't think I could do the program with the weather acting crazy like it has been for the last week.  When it's not thunderstorming (I don't ̶m̶i̶n̶d̶  hate running in a shower, but this stuff has been crazy!) it's SUPER HUMID.  So much so that when I have been running, I'm finding it hard to get good air in, it's like I'm swimming through the air!  At least it seems to be breaking up a bit. 

This is how I know I'm a runner.  When it rains at night, I wake up and am sad about not being able to run first thing in the morning.  I check the forecast at 2am to see what it will be like at 7!  

This morning, it was storming, so I didn't go.  After teaching my class this afternoon, it looked like it had stopped for a bit, and the forecast called for about an hour of no rain, so I booked it home, threw on my Saucony's and ran.  I made it about 10 minutes before the clouds broke open again, and by the time I got home, I was pretty wet.

Tomorrow doesn't look too much better.

Isolated T-Storms

Thunderstorms again in the morning, so I'll have to brave the afternoon run again.  Gah.  I hate running after I've eaten anything. I run so much better on an empty stomach- is that weird?

Anyway- cross your fingers that it clears up for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment