Thursday, January 2, 2014

Some goals for 2014

I'm not much of a resolution gal, because I think I live a pretty fantastic life already, and making a resolution would imply that I wanted to change some aspect of that.
I do, however, believe in goal setting, so here are some things I want to do this year. I am especially cognizant that 2014 will be my last full year of my 30's, which I am content with.
Fitness:
I started running in September of 2012. In 2013, I set a goal of running 13 races, which I almost doubled. This year, I will likely run at least 14 races, but I'm not pressed on the number. My goal this year is to start running some longer races. I'm signed up for a half marathon in March, and also plan to run some 10-milers. Last year I logged about 970 running miles, so I think it would be cool to shoot for 1000 miles in 2014.
I'd also like to incorporate more variety of fitness activities, so I'll be looking for abs, arms, legs, etc. challenges to complete, and I plan on doing yoga more often because I feel better as a human when I do so.
Reading:
I generally read about 100 books a year. A few years ago, I read 140 in a year, but felt rather burnt out by December, so I think 100 is a good goal. I do want to make more of an effort to track what I'm reading, however. I've tried sites like goodreads, but that doesn't seem to fit my style. What I think I'd like to do is just be better about jotting down finish dates here, instead of just listing books each month.
Veganism:
I want to continue listing here my food plans each week. I love the way that forces me into shopping efficiently, and I think it has saved me money in the long run. I also like pushing myself to try new recipes on a weekly basis. That way, I don't get stuck in a rut.
One other goal I have this year is to review my myriad of cookbooks here. I love vegan cookbooks, and want to encourage myself to re-visit each one. I am thinking that once or twice a month, I can use one cookbook exclusively for the week's meal planning, and then at the end of the week, post my thoughts about the book. In addition, I will start WRITING in my cookbooks. Notes, dates, etc.
Teaching:
I'm in the process of putting the finishing touches on a new course that will go live in January. I also want to revise my other two concepts courses to include more about the Common Core. I plan on again teaching kids college in the summer, and am hoping for an exciting speaker to join us for Women and Math this spring.
Learning:
As many of you know, I've finished my coursework and comprehensive exams for my Ph.D. program, and am currently in the dissertation process. I'd like to finish that in the next 18 months, early in 2015. It is sometimes a frustrating process, because there are so many hoops to jump through. But I think when I am done I will be really pleased.
Other:
I will continue to love life with Rob, spend time with Mia, talk about my dogs too much, save turtles from the road, and sing too loud in my car. Some thing you can't improve on...


Happy 2014, friends! Have a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment