Saturday, August 3, 2013

A Breakfast Blog. (For Rachel)

I've been asked by a few people to share my breakfast routine.  It is delicious, I might add!

I start my day off with a detox-lemonade.  It's easy to make.


You need:
1 lemon (this is rather tart, so you may want to start with just 1/2 a lemon)
1-1.5oz. Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (I don't care about the brand, but it must be unfiltered ACV)
Dash Cinnamon
Dash Cayenne Pepper
1-3 drops Stevia Extract (I like Vanilla flavor)

I juice the lemon, and mix in 10-12 oz. of water, then I add the ACV, Cinnamon, Cayenne, and Stevia, and give it a good shake.  From my reading, I understand that the detox properties of these ingredients is best consumed on an empty stomach, but since I drink water while I run, and I run before breakfast, this is usually sipped for an hour or so while I eat and get ready for my day after my run.

Like I said, you may find the taste to be a little overwhelming at first- but start with less lemon and ACV.  When you start drinking this, you may notice some pimples, as your skin starts to clear.  I have noticed that when I drink this every day, my skin looks and feels better. 

Okay, now I've run, and started sipping my lemonade, and I'm starving, let's eat!

After I run, I am hungry, and I try to eat protein in the am to help build running muscles.  This is my standard go-to breakfast after a run, which is bastardized from The Vegan Zombie's "Egg-trick muffin". (BTW- did you know TVZ is in the process of writing a graphic-novel zombie style cookbook?  I'm so excited and have already pre-ordered my copy through their kickstarter.


You need:
Extra firm tofu (cut into 1/2 slices,halved.  One package of XFT yields 4 servings Cut in half, half, half, and half again...)
Nutritional Yeast (pictured here is a canister of Red Star, but I buy my Nutritional Yeast in bulk and just refill the canister)
Chia Seed
Flax Seed and/or Flaxseed meal
Hemp Seed
Kosher Salt (optional)
Vegan cheese (my favorite is Daiya Cheddar)
Vegan bacon (my favorite is Turtle Mountain's Tempeh Smoked Maple Strips)
Flour tort ilia (6-8 inch, I prefer whole grain)


Start off by making your dry tofu topping- flaxseed yields nutritional properties best if crushed or ground.  I have a coffee grinder that I like to use just for seeds.  If you get the flaxseed meal, you don't need to pre-grind.  I like the taste of the whole seed, so I use a combination of the flaxseed meal and whole flaxseeds.
Mix your Flax, Chia, Hemp, and Nutritional Yeast together in equal parts.  Any and or all of these is optional, and you may adjust to taste.  I have recently added in the Hemp seed to the mixture, but the only ingredient I think is really necessary is the nutritional yeast.  Add salt, if desired- just a pinch.

Pre-heat skillet, with a smidge of olive oil.  I add three strips of tempeh (if I'm using another brand- Lightlife has a good vegan bacon, I only use two strips) and four squares of tofu tossed in the topping to the pan, and cook until lightly browned on each side.


I actually have it down to a science so that if I put the skillet on 4, I can go take a shower and flip the tofu when I get out, then get dressed while the second side is cooking.

After both sides of the tofu and fakin are browned, I pull them out of the skillet- and put a tortilla on the skillet and top with the vegan cheese.  Just a little will go a long way, I probably use about 1/8 of a cup.  Top with the tofu and fakin, and toast the tortilla until the cheese starts to melt.  Fold in half, and breakfast is ready!

Let me know if you have any questions, and Happy breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment