Monday, August 31, 2015

Vegan MoFo day 1


I will once again be blogging for the awesome Vegan Month of food for September.
Vegan MoFo allows us to share delicious, healthy foods with the world, and I'm excited you are here!

This year, the folks at Vegan MoFo have changed it up a bit, and every day we will be posting on a different topic. Today, the prompt is: Rise and shine! It's MoFo time! Tell us about your breakfast!

I generally have green smoothies for breakfast. My favorite combo is spinach, banana, and almond milk. But with summer, my fruit haul has been bountiful. I've been cutting and chopping fruits to freeze,  and enjoying some sweeter smoothies lately!

Today, I started with 4 ice cubes, and 1 cup of water. I recently have been reading Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink,  and one thing Ixve been thinking about as a result of that book is that I feel fuller in the morning when my smoothie is BIGGER. So I've been adding in extra ice and water. This not only tricks my brain, but also hydrates! Win!


Next up, I add protein powder. Now, vegans are absolutely able to get all the protein they need from a whole food diet, and not need supplements. But on days when I have a good run, I find a little protein powder helps. Lately, I've been really digging on this vanilla pea powder from Raw Green Organics.  I also added in some powdered wheat grass and orac. If I had raw spinach,  that would be better.


Frozen bananas are a must, and add a great creamy texture to a smoothie. I like to buy the discounted bananas and I store them In my fridge. 
*note: some people like to get crazy with bananas in their smoothies,  but that adds a lot of calories.  Unless you're an athlete who is mono-mealing, trust me, no more than one banana....


I cut up and froze cantaloupe for just this reason! 


Oh,  yum,  this one is very thick and creamy! 


The best start to my day! (Well,  after my 6 mile run,  that is! )


What did you have for breakfast? 

No comments:

Post a Comment