Saturday, May 17, 2014

Vegan eating out, Newark, DE

Home Grown Cafe
Newark, DE
This veg-friendly is one I would go out of my way to return to.
Rob and I stopped here on the our way up to New Jersey for the weekend. 
Newark is the home of the University of Delaware, and I always love a college town.
Home Grown Cafe had great reviews on happycow.net
We sat at the bar, and started off with  a beer. John, the bartender was super friendly.
 I got a wheat beer, and Rob had a IPA, and then an ale. (I was driving!) 
Often, when we go out, Rob and I like going "halvsies" where we each order something vegan, and then share. 
We started with the seitan "chicken" bites with a sesame dipping sauce. Rob got some spicy jalapeƱos on the side (they were fresh, and much spicier than jar peppers)?
Then we shared the "All American" with vegan bacon, vegan cheddar, and tofu. A green salad with tahini vinagrette on the side. Very, very yummy.
The really great thing about this place is that they don't have a special veg menu with limited menu.
What they do is on their regular menu, they have one star next to items that are already, or can easily be made vegetarian, 
and two stars next to any item that is already, or can easily be made vegan! 
There were so many options for me, I can't wait to go back!
The staff was knowledgeable and friendly, and the food was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment