Friday, November 15, 2013

Sigh- I took the road less traveled by this week.

This week didn't go exactly, or anywhere near planned.
The only meal I've made from my plan this week was Monday's. Then I got sick, and nothing else has gone like I thought it would.

Monday, I made a lovely lentil loaf with a side of steamed kale.

It turned out delicious!  I used the Vegan Stoner's recipe for the lentil loaf, and my own recipe for the Kale (see upcoming Thanksgiving blog for recipe).

My tutoring student, Zach, has a garden full of kale, so he's been my main supplier lately.  I've been juicing it, making salads, and steaming it.  I had to cancel tutoring this week because of my cold, so I may go through withdrawal!
Rob enjoyed his meal with a PBR.  Only classy beers in this joint, you hear? ;)

I'd planned on going to the grocery store for ingredients for the week on Tuesday, but that didn't happen, so we had rice, seitan, and veggies. Wednesday night, everyone was on their own for dinner, since I was exhausted, and just went to bed. Thursday, I reverted to one of my favorite college meals: rice & black beans.

Cheap and easy bowl
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1 c. brown rice
2.5 c. water
1 can black beans
1 can refried (vegan) black beans
0.25 c. salsa
vegan cheese (optional)

Add rice and water together in pot, put over high heat and bring to a boil.  When it starts to boil, stir, cover and leave on burner on low for 40-45 minutes.

Heat both bean cans together in one small pot, stirring together.  You can also use two cans of regular black beans, and give them a mash or two with a potato masher.  I just happened to have the can of refried.  This recipe really works with any kind of bean, but my favorite is black.  Add salsa, and heat on medium setting.

In a bowl, layer in rice, beans, and sprinkle cheese on top if you want.  I had slices of daiya swiss cheese, so I layered them rice, cheese, beans.  Then I stirred it around really well so the cheese was melted.

Today (Friday) I finally got to the grocery store.  I'm starting to feel better, but the long run is not going to happen for me today. Anyway, my daughter has been working at MOM's organic market, and while she's been working there, we've enjoyed a 30% discount on groceries (yeah!).  She's also been working as a tutor at the local college, and the tutoring job works so much better with her class schedule, so she's put in her two weeks notice at MOM's and her last day of work is Sunday.  I wanted to get a really big shopping trip in while we still had that discount, so we got to do that today.

We filled our cart with mostly frozen and shelf -stable items, things that wouldn't go bad, that we could stock up on.  I picked up a number of packages of vegan cheese, tempeh, and lots of roobios tea.  We also picked up some frozen vegan pizzas and both a Tofurky and Gardein roast.  (They also had the Field Roast brand, but that one worries me a bit- it's SO meaty in texture.  Like Beyond Meat.  I don't really want something to look/taste that much like meat!)

Another thing I picked up was a tray of wheatgrass.  I've bought frozen wheatgrass shots to put in smoothies before, and ordered wheatgrass at local juice bars, but never tried it on my own.


I was quite surprised when I tried to put it through my juicer!  Nothing!  The little grass blades floated above the blades, and went straight to the excess bin.  So a little bit of research later, I found out that to make a wheatgrass shot, I would need to do it manually.  So here's what I did:

Wheatgrass shot
Ingredients:
0.25-0.5 c. chopped wheatgrass (the smaller the pieces, the better)
2oz. water

Put the wheatgrass in a mortar, and crush into a fine paste with your pestle.  Apparently they have special wheatgrass juicers, but I don't...
Add water.
Strain liquid into a small glass


I made Rob and I some carrot juice, and we split a shot.  It wasn't too tough to do!  I added lots of ginger root to mine, but only a little to Rob's.

Tonight, Rob is going to make his meal of vegan stuffed cabbage leaves, and I'll return to the meal plan posted for the weekend, with the Pad Thai on Saturday, and Chili and cornbread on Sunday.

Some of the missed recipes will be pushed to next week, and I'm doing a freezer clean out, and will try to use some things that need to be used this next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment